Wednesday 7 May 2014

Almost there...

Sorry for the brief radio silence, the last few days have been crazy busy and (in a break from the norm) all for good reasons. Apart from breaking my toe that is, that wasn't so good but anyway...

Reviews will start appearing again, promise! It hasn't helped though that 'The City' seems to be turning into a book that promises much if you keep reading but doesn't deliver on that. I'm far enough in now that I'm going to push on for the end but it hasn't exactly been fun reading in the meantime...

So what have I got for you today then? Well, I've been mooching around a couple of second hand bookshops today and realised that I'm actually closer than I think to completing my Fantasy Masterworks collection. The list is below and will be a handy thing for me to refer back to when I'm tempted by Amazon (which happens most lunchtimes). If it's bold then I have it, bold and italics mean that I've read it (although there aren't too many of those. It's been fun collecting these books, now I'm turning my thoughts to collecting the old SF Masterworks. We'll see what happens there...

1 - The Book of the New Sun, Volume 1: Shadow and Claw - Gene Wolfe
2 - Time and the Gods - Lord Dunsany (need to double check if I have this already as part of another book)
3 - The Worm Ouroboros - E.R. Eddison
4 - Tales of the Dying Earth - Jack Vance
5 - Little, Big - John Crowley
6 - The Chronicles of Amber - Roger Zelazny
7 - Viriconium - M. John Harrison
8 - The Conan Chronicles, Volume 1: The People of the Black Circle - Robert E. Howard
9 - The Land of Laughs - Jonathan Carroll
10 - The Compleat Enchanter: The Magical Misadventures of Harold Shea - L. Sprague de Camp and Fletcher Pratt
11 - Lud-in-the-Mist - Hope Mirrlees 
12 - The Book of the New Sun, Volume 2: Sword and Citadel - Gene Wolfe
13 - Fevre Dream - George R. R. Martin
14 - Beauty - Sheri S. Tepper
15 - The King of Elfland's Daughter - Lord Dunsany
16 - The Conan Chronicles, Volume 2: The Hour of the Dragon - Robert E. Howard
17 - Elric - Michael Moorcock
18 - The First Book of Lankhmar - Fritz Leiber
19 - The Riddle-Master's Game - Patricia A. McKillip
20 - Time and Again - Jack Finney
21 - Mistress of Mistresses - E.R. Eddison
22 - Gloriana or the Unfulfill'd Queen - Michael Moorcock
23 - The Well of the Unicorn - Fletcher Pratt
24 - The Second Book of Lankhmar - Fritz Leiber
25 - Voice of Our Shadow - Jonathan Carroll
26 - The Emperor of Dreams - Clark Ashton Smith
27 - Lyonesse I: Suldrun's Garden - Jack Vance
28 - Peace - Gene Wolfe
29 - The Dragon Waiting - John M. Ford
30 - Corum: The Prince in the Scarlet Robe - Michael Moorcock
31 - Black Gods and Scarlet Dreams - C.L. Moore
32 - The Broken Sword - Poul Anderson
33 - The House on the Borderland and Other Novels - William Hope Hodgson
34 - The Drawing of the Dark - Tim Powers
35 - Lyonesse II and III: The Green Pearl and Madouc - Jack Vance
36 - The History of the Runestaff - Michael Moorcock 
37 - A Voyage to Arcturus - David Lindsay
38 - Darker Than You Think - Jack Williamson
39 - The Mabinogion - Evangeline Walton
40 - Three Hearts & Three Lions - Poul Anderson
41 - Grendel - John Gardner
42 - The Iron Dragon's Daughter - Michael Swanwick
43 - WAS - Geoff Ryman
44 - Song of Kali - Dan Simmons
45 - Replay - Ken Grimwood
46 - Sea Kings of Mars and Other Worldly Stories - Leigh Brackett
47 - The Anubis Gates - Tim Powers
48 - The Forgotten Beasts of Eld - Patricia A. McKillip
49 - Something Wicked This Way Comes - Ray Bradbury
50 - The Mark of the Beast and Other Fantastical Tales - Rudyard 
Kipling

There's a few more still to get but that's not bad going at all :o) If I get this new job, interviewed for it today, then maybe I'll treat myself to a couple more.
I know I keep saying this but the plan is still to read my way through this series. Anyone have a particular title that they would like me to start off on?

No comments:

Post a Comment