Tuesday 22 April 2014

The 'Covert Chocolate Eating' Update Post!

So I took a little break from the blog and had a lovely time in Plymouth for a few days over Easter, mostly spent with Elana sleeping on me. I had a great time, hardly got any reading done at all but that turned out to be just what I needed to recharge my batteries and get all excited about books again. If there’s one thing that I’ve learned, it’s why fill your free time with something that you don’t really want to do? I can’t see the point in that at all ;o) Nope; I had one child sleep on me, played ‘rescue the princess’ with the other and ate chocolate while no-one was looking. You can’t ask for more than that really.

That’s not to say that I didn’t get any reading done at all. Hey, it’s me :o) I polished off the second ‘A Game of Thrones’ graphic novel (more on that later this week) and managed to read a little more of ‘Blade of Tyshalle’ (which is shaping up to be incredible by the way). For the first time in a long time, I didn’t feel the need to go out and buy books because I’d made bad choices in my holiday reading. Happy days :o)

There were a few books waiting for me when we got home; not loads and that’s the way I like it right now. Some interesting stuff though; go on, have a look…


Yep, my new 'Game of Thrones' box-set also made it into the picture (it's way past time that I started watching it) and in one of those moments that just happen, the camera flash has rendered Ned Stark headless. It's almost like my phone knew...
But onto the books. I didn't read 'The City' when it was first published so got going on that last night. Initial thoughts? It's like a really slow burning book version of 'Gladiator'... I'm only a hundred pages in though so there's time for all that to change. 'Tithe of the Saviours' has an amazing cover, HERO FIGHTS TENTACLES!, but I haven't read the first book (erm... 'Something of the Saviours'?) so I can't see 'Tithe' being read at all.
'The Letter for the King' has piqued my interest for reasons that I'm still unsure of, couldn't tell you when it will be read though. Maybe it's the whole 'knights in armour thing', maybe it's the lovely looking cover. Don't know...


There's nothing I want more right now than some 'Fighting Fantasy' style action in my reading. I need something short and snappy though, not a book that makes a resounding thud when it hits the floor (it was an accident...) I want to go on a quest that takes a couple of hours (*wistful*'Deathtrap Dungeon'*wistful*) not a quest that, if the size of the book is anything to go by, looks like it could last for days. I'm filing this one under 'hmmm, maybe...'

And this was waiting for me when I got back into the office,


I don't know if I'll be reading the whole book but there's certainly a number of stories inside that I'm eager to give a go so look out for them being talked about here.
Any of those books catch your eye? Did anyone here read the first 'Saviours' book?

No comments:

Post a Comment