Wednesday 19 June 2013

Mike Carey's 'The Girl With All the Gifts' - Cover Art, Blurb and a small plea from me...


Melanie is a very special girl. Dr Caldwell calls her ‘our little genius’.

Every morning, Melanie waits in her cell to be collected for class. When they come for her, Sergeant keeps his gun pointing at her while two of his people strap her into the wheelchair. She thinks they don’t like her. She jokes that she won’t bite, but they don’t laugh.

Melanie loves school. She loves learning about spelling and sums and the world outside the classroom and the children’s cells. She tells her favourite teacher all the things she’ll do when she grows up. Melanie doesn’t know why this makes Miss Justineau look sad.

I found this on the Orbit site and I think that it has been mentioned elsewhere already. It certainly looks like a book I'll be picking up next year, having thoroughly enjoyed everything I've read of Mike Carey's. But that's the thing though, I can't help but feel like I'll be picking up the wrong book if I don't see any kind of closure to the 'Felix Castor' books in the meantime.

Whatever happened to Felix Castor? I know he was a bit disreputable; letting his best mate be possessed by a demon and suffering severe beatings over the course of five books, but he was all set up nicely to do whatever needed doing in book six. And what a book that promised to be; a book that gave us all the answers but loads more questions all at the same time.

Where did it go? Where is Felix Castor?

I miss Felix quite a bit and while I'll happily settle for 'The Girl With All the Gifts' I'll be thinking of him while I read it. Have you seen Felix anywhere? If you have, let him know that there are people out there who miss him and want to know what he is up to...

1 comment:

  1. It's as if crazy Uncle Felix went for a walk and never returned. Can't find ANYTHING regarding the future of Felix on the net. The entirely to small group of people searching for Felix aren't coming up with anything. At least I know I'm not the only one feeling slightly concerned about it.

    ReplyDelete